Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies. With around 93,000 employees in more than 90 countries and territories, Shell helps to meet the world's growing demand for energy in economically, environmentally and socially responsible ways.
The Reliability Engineer (Rel.E) is a senior staff position residing within Pulau Bukom Engineering/Assurance Division under Reliability Department. The primary function of Rel.E is to provide professional expertise and technical support regarding reliability improvements to maximize asset availability, deliver production unplanned downtime (UPDT) targets, optimize maintenance expenditures and improve system reliability of assigned Production Unit (PU) including data gathering, failure analysis, troubleshooting, implement work processes, champion LEAN improvement plans and development of predictive / preventive maintenance programs for plant assets in accordance with Pulau Bukom and Global-Manufacturing best practices.
The Rel.E is a key member of Production Unit Delivery Team (PUDT) in driving PU reliability agenda to achieve sustainable competitive production and promote Highly Reliability Organization (HRO) practices: Execute the basics; Focus on the front-line; Long-term focus, Causal reasoning; Alignment; Continuous improvement; Reliability assurance and Stakeholder management.
The Rel.E is responsible to ensure balanced reliability considerations are embedded in all aspects of Pulau Bukom Manufacturing practices: Projects, Turnaround, Maintenance, Engineering, Management of Change, Equipment Integrity, Work Processes and Human-Reliability Factors which are essential to deliver a sustainable performance, specifically in the areas of process safety, personal safety, cost, energy, margin, utilization and product quality.
The Rel.E is expected to work across different functions & disciplines with Operations, Technologist, Engineering, Maintenance, Projects, Turnaround, HSE, Business Excellence, E&S team members and externally with Consultants / Specialists, Vendors, OEM & Contractors to deliver best-in-class reliability performance for the site. Rel.E must demonstrate (i) strong bias for action to identify potential problems and coordinate resolutions before they become reliability hits; (ii) continual enthusiasm and desire to assist the production teams to improve reliability / UPDT performance.
1. Lead Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) discussions to provide engineering, process and systemic solutions to complex Reliability & asset availability challenges. Facilitate and conduct Root Cause Analysis and Causal Investigations.
2. Statistically analyze performance and historical data to assess functional system reliability, asset availability, equipment maintainability, process safety & environment. Identify key opportunity areas to perform proactive reliability studies utilizing reliability tools (FMEA, Pareto, Crow-AMSAA Plots, Weibull / Weibayse Analyses, Reliability Modeling and other statistical analysis tools).
3. Promote reliability mindset / best practices sharing across sites through publications of newsletters, reliability alerts, teleconference and regular communications on success stories to reinforce positive proactive behaviors.
4. Drive work process compliance and effective practice of Reliability work processes within assigned PU to deliver end to end business objectives. Subject Matter Expert for the following Reliability Work Processes:
• Manage Threats and Opportunities (MTO) - Ensure that threats to asset availability are identified, prioritized & mitigated effectively in a timely manner with appropriate risk assessments.
• Reliability Centred Maintenance (RCM) - Facilitate RCM studies with Maintenance, Operations, Projects & Engineering teams to identify / analyze / establish equipment maintenance strategies to achieve optimum operation risk management.
Educational Qualifications: Bachelor of Engineering or Master's Degree.
Professional Experience: 5~7 years work experience (minimum 4 years) of relevant experience, mainly technical support in similar industry. Preferably with some years in Engineering, Projects, Maintenance, Turnaround, or Process Management experience.
Additional comments on Requirements:
1. Strong engineering fundamentals.
2. Sound understanding of refining / chemical production processes.
3. Effective interpersonal & networking skills in leading loosely knit cross-functional / multi-discipline work teams. Proven facilitation and group leadership experience.
4. Ability to analyze situation to identify the main constituent parts. Diagnoses the causes of events and recognize connecting patterns to reflect the "big picture".
5. Mastery of reliability engineering principles: mechanical systems and component failure mode & effect analysis (FMEA), life-cycle costing, block-diagrams, latent defect studies, reliability modeling, root cause analysis (RCA) and Causal Learning.
6. Sound statistical analysis skills: failure statistics (normal, exponential, log-normal, binomial, Poisson), expected life, reliability growth method (Crow-AMSAA), Weibull & Weibayse analysis, MTBM/MTBF/MTTF/MTTR, failure rates / impact analysis etc.
7. Sound application of predictive technologies: vibration analysis, lubrication, thermography, motor analysis, ultrasonics, turbomachinery analysis, alignment and balancing procedures, (Advance) NDT, fixed equipment diagnostic technologies.
8. Sound application of business economics, cost transparency and project valuation: convert cost of unavailability into bottom-line profit, apply reliability business case tools.
9. Robust computer skills: MS-Word, MS-Visio, Advance MS-Excel (Pivot-Table, Data Analysis ToolPak, Solver), MS-PowerPoint, SuperSMITH and SAP.
10. Knowledge and stays up-to-date with industry standards; Shell-DEP, API, ASME; Singapore CoP to adhere to engineering practices / guidelines and industry best practices.
Relevant Work Experiences:
1. Perform detailed engineering calculations and correlated data / advance statistical analysis for performance analysis.
2. Identify value creation opportunities using reliability data collection and reliability business case tools.
3. Manage reliability projects; provide design-for-reliability inputs into capital projects review.
4. Perform reliability benchmarking and performance measurements, build learning into structured improvement plans, looking externally towards World Class performers for best practices.
5. Lead troubleshooting of critical systems and equipment problems; provide technical advices to resolve problems and present long-term reliability / asset-integrity solutions.
6. Support annual site budgeting exercise: cost driver analysis; advise on funding / resource requirements to implement reliability improvement activities.
7. Lead the requirements and implementation of Preservation of New and Old Equipment Standing Idle.
8. Manage third parties, including vendors and specialist contractors when required.
9. Facilitate monthly Production Reliability Meeting and communicate Reliability-KPI performance.
10. Review and analyze monthly UPDT data; to have a thorough understanding / explanation on reliability events that affected plant's availability / reliability performance.
11. Influence team members and stakeholders to reason causally, systematically & strategically.
12. Formulate / contribute towards the development of the Reliability Strategy to address gaps in asset availability, production capability and workforce competency.
13. Support development of infrastructure rejuvenation program via Asset Master Planning (AMP).
14. Raise the necessary business justification documents to advance reliability improvement projects.